It became legal for same sex couples to have their relationships recognised in the same way as mixed-sex couples with a legal and binding contract known as a Civil Partnership on 21st December 2005.
A civil partnership contract has to be signed and witnessed in front of a registrar who can also offer to conduct the whole ceremony for you. However this type of ceremony is quite expensive and very restrictive. It is usually quite short and although you have a choice of words (vows, and maybe a poem) that choice is extremely limited. What if you want to make your ceremony more special and unique to you? This is where I can help. You have two choices;
1. Do the legal 'bit' at the register office and have the ceremony (the most important part of the day) at any other location (anywhere! It doesn't have to be in a venue that is licensed for marriages and this can be a great way to cut costs and at any time) with your Civil Celebrant leading the service delivering a ceremony that you have designed and written together.
2. Invite the registrar to a licensed venue to sign the register and continue the ceremony with your Civil Celebrant to deliver a ceremony that is so much more personal and special, written around you as a couple.
Apart from the legal side of the proceedings you will get to choose every aspect of the ceremony for example:-
Date and time - The date and time of your choice - even evenings
Your entrance – you can decide if you would like to enter together or separately, to music of your choice
Promises/vows to each other - with my help we can write these important words to suit you as a couple, to be as special as you would like them to be.
Music, poetry - you can choose pieces that have meaning and are therefore more personal to you.
Readings - you can ask a family member or friend to say a few words or deliver a reading
Themed weddings – wear whatever clothes you choose.
Whether you would like to exchange tokens/rings, tie knots, scatter petals, light candles have a hand fasting or other unity ceremony.
Have the option of releasing a dove or balloons or blow bubbles etc..
Civil Partnership with religion - we can have some religious references if you so chose, ie: we can have a prayer, a blessing, sing a hymn, and/or readings from the Bible or other religious readings.
Venue - Most importantly choose the venue of your special day. I can hold your Civil Partnership ceremony in your own home or garden, by a river, outside in natural surroundings, in a hotel, a local hall or anywhere you choose – the venue does not have to be licensed for Civil Partnerships - this is a great way of cutting costs as venues that are licensed for marriage can be very expensive. One of the best Civil Partnership ceremonies I have taken was in a field - a real restival! I will help you to design your special day and conduct your ceremony at your chosen venue; this can be the same day following your register office signing or at a later date to suit you and your guests.
Or if you prefer, you can have a Commitment Ceremony without visiting the Registry Office first. This type of ceremony has no legal standing however but can be a very special option for those who are unable to comply with the legal requirements for a civil partnership.
There are many reasons why you may be considering a Civil Partnership Ceremony. It may be that:-
- you want to have your ceremony in a particular venue that is not licenced for marriage (a great way to cut costs)
- you may prefer to have religious or cultural traditions, which aren't allowed in a non-religious ceremony or in a register office
- you are getting married in another country but not all your friends and family can make it so you would like to have a ceremony back home when you return - a marriage blessing
- you would like to have your ceremony in an evening when everyone can make it
- you would like a more personal and bespoke ceremony than the register office can provide
- you would like your marriage ceremony to include religious, spiritual or symbolic elements that would not be allowed in a usual venue licenced for marriage.
- you would like to hold your ceremony outside, in a garden, beside a river or in a place of natural beauty
Fees - I have full confidence in the fairness of my fees. Extensive efforts have been taken to assess fair costs in comparism with other celebrant services in the areas I cover. You will find my prices are more than fair - this is not just a business for me - it is my vocation! I love and enjoy helping you create lasting memories on the most special of days! Please call or e-mail for a quotation.